Watlington stands between the Vale of Oxford and the steep slopes of the Chilterns. The Town is steeped in history and is first recorded as a Saxon settlement in the 8th Century, but the discoveries of a Bronze Age Axe and Roman Coins suggest an earlier past.
In the centre is the Town Hall, built by Thomas Stonor to commemorate the restoration of the Monarchy at the end of the Civil War. The Hall initially served the 3 posts of Market House, School and Meeting Place.
A mysterious white mark carved into the chalk lies above the Town on Watlington Hill. Oddly, when approaching the Town from Oxford the mark appears to extend the height of the ChurchTower.
The Town is skirted by the ancient Ridgeway Trail at the footway of the Chilterns making a popular stop-off for walkers, naturalists, cyclists and horse riders.
There are many historic buildings in Watlington, particularly around the core of the Town. Several date from the 17th Century or earlier but are concealed behind later refronting carried out in the 18th and 19th Century. Historic buildings of particular note in Watlington include St Leonard’s Church, which dates in part to the 12th Century. The 17th Century Town Hall which is a Grade II* listed building and the predominately 18th Century Hare and Hounds Hotel (The Chiltern Business Centre), No 7 High Street and No 46 Shirburn Street are both grand Georgian houses and No 15 and 17 High Street, No 39 Brook Street and 42 Chapel Street are all late medieval in origin.
Jeremy’s property is part of the Watlington Conservation Area. His house, a Grade II listed building, was built circa 1820 of limestone ashlar with a Hipped Welsh slate roof and brick ridge stack. It is a double-depth plan, 2 storeys. His barn is circa late 1800s/early 1900s constructed of weatherboarding over timber frame on brick.